Friday, July 21, 2017 This Week's Paper

Foss rallies past North Thurston minus star

// Falcons overcome big deficit in final minutes

Foss felt the effects of missing star guard Ar’Mond Davis most of the game against North Thurston. But with the Rams on the verge of a major upset, the Falcons rallied from an eight-point deficit to earn a 50-47 win at home on Jan. 24 to stay in third place in the Narrows 3A.

Trailing 47-39 with under two minutes to play, Foss’ Sam Dabalos-McMahon helped spark a quick turnaround. The junior guard nailed a three-pointer, and added a quick steal and layup to cut it to 47-44 with 1:44 remaining.

“We just all had to step up and play bigger roles,” said Dabalos-McMahon, who finished with a team-high 17 points. “My teammates just did a really good job of playing hard. I was just in the right spot, I guess. They made big plays and kind of made it happen. I just hit a couple shots.”

Freshman Roberto Gittens followed with a steal and an emphatic dunk for the Falcons 15 seconds later to trim the deficit to one point. Gittens converted a three-point play to give Foss a 49-47 lead with 19 seconds remaining, sinking a layup while being fouled after a nice pass from the Falcons’ Olashawan Miller.

“We wanted to pressure probably from the (start), and we just struggled with it,” said Foss head coach Mike Cocke’. “Finally in the fourth quarter, the guys dug in and started making plays on the ball.”

North Thurston, meanwhile, was 0-for-6 from the free-throw line in the closing seconds, helping seal the victory for Foss.

McMahon hit two three-pointers in the first quarter to help Foss to a 9-6 lead less than three minutes into the game. But the Falcons’ offense struggled without Davis, who was averaging 25 points per game but wasn’t able to play after showing up to school late because of illness.

“When you lose that type of offensive production, it’s hard to replace,” Cocke’ said. “We weren’t really in a good offensive rhythm all night.”

North Thurston’s Darin Sroor was the one in a rhythm in the first half, going 7-for-7 from the field for 14 of his game-high 18 points. Foss, meanwhile, was just 6-for-24 from the field in the first two quarters, and trailed 21-18 at the break.

The Falcons began to find some success in the third quarter behind Miller, who scored 7 of his 13 points in the period. Gittens, meanwhile, scored seven of his 10 points in the fourth quarter to help lead the comeback.

The win put the Falcons at 12-4 overall and 5-3 in league play, as they faced a matchup at second-place Lincoln on Jan. 29.