Friday, July 28, 2017 This Week's Paper

Foss makes playoffs again, overwhelmed by Enumclaw

// Wilson eliminated by Peninsula in shutout

A furious late-season surge led Foss to the 3A Bi-District Girls Soccer playoffs for the second straight year, after making their first-ever appearance in the postseason last year. But the Falcons again ran into some tough competition from the SPSL 3A, as Enumclaw struck for three goals in three minutes late in the first half on their way to a 6-0 win over Foss on Nov. 7 at Sunset Chevy Stadium in Sumner.

Still, the Falcons – who were 5-2 in the previous seven games to edge Shelton for the final playoff spot – were satisfied with what they accomplished.

“We were happy to be here after going 0-4 to start the season,” said Foss head coach Mark Kramer. “When the seniors here were freshman, we didn’t win a game. We finally tied a game their sophomore year, and made it to the playoffs their junior and senior years. It was like they just burst onto the scene. All of a sudden they just gelled. The girls stuck with it, they didn’t give up.”

The Hornets maintained possession in the Falcons’ half of the field for most of the match, and Foss’ best opportunity to score came on a free kick in the sixth minute. But defender Tyfanni Chin’s shot from 40 yards out sailed right of the goal.

Hannah Dahlquist got Enumclaw on the board in the 10th minute, outracing the defense on the left side and driving a shot over freshman keeper Meagan Kamberger from 25 yards out. Kamberger, though, was solid in making eight saves for the Falcons in the game.

Foss withheld any more damage until the 27th minute, when Mia Fornelius crossed up a Falcons defender in the top of the box and sent a low shot under Kamberger to make it 2-0. Dahlquist drove a low shot into the left of goal two minutes later, and Fornelius stole a ball moments after the resulting kickoff and added her second goal to give the Hornets a commanding 4-0 lead at the break.

“The depth on the bench just wasn’t there,” said Kramer of his squad, which was missing defenders Chiyoko Ivery and Emma Rue-Johns to injuries. “We were going to get tired by 40 minutes. We did better in the second half. I think the leadership of the team in (senior defender) Jessica (Orozco) and Tyfanni made a big difference.”

Amber Dunlap and Haley Johnson added goals for the Hornets in the second half to account for the rest of the scoring.

By Jeremy Helling


Bitter cold winds and a slippery field made for an adventurous night at Stadium Bowl between Peninsula and Wilson in the 3A Bi-District playoffs on Nov. 7. But the Seahawks owned most of the play throughout the night, getting a 2-0 shutout win to eliminate the Lady Rams.

Both teams had trouble establishing any kind of offensive consistency early, as the 40 mile-per-hour winds played havoc on the pace of play. Peninsula began to apply pressure in the Wilson end in the latter part of the first half, but Rams keeper Rebecca Simansky made two crucial stops at point-blank range to keep it a scoreless tie at the half.

The second half brought more of the same for Wilson, as Seahawks continued to bring pressure in the Wilson end and the Lady Rams could not muster any kind of offense at all. In all, Wilson mustered four shots on goal for the night.

Peninsula’s pressure began to pay off in the middle part of the half when Jolene Kvinsland had a tap-in goal in front of the net in the 64th minute to make it 1-0. They added to it five minutes later when Kaiti Dewhurst scored on a header from the far post for a controlling 2-0 lead.

The Rams applied some pressure in the 73rd minute as a crossing pass in front of the net just missed the sprawling header attempt by Hannah Kunkel. Perry Henricksen launched a laser shot from 25 yards out four minutes later that was just wide right. That was the final good look at goal for the Rams.

Wilson ends the season having placed second in the Narrows 3A with a 9-1-2 record in league play.

By Steve Mullen