The Sideline

Max Harvey scored two first-half goals, and Stadium held off a second-half charge from Gig Harbor for a 3-2 win tonight to vault the Tigers within a point of first place in the Narrows 4A.

Harvey got the Tigers started quickly in the third minute, corralling a free kick and booting it in for a 1-0 lead. The Tides had several opportunities to answer, including Bjorn Brynestad’s shot from 15 yards out in the 18th minute that sailed just right and Davis McCall’s header that was just left two minutes later. Harvey then doubled the Tigers’ lead in the 23rd minute after taking a pass, switching directions to cross up a defender and driving a low shot into the left side.

“I wanted to score,” Harvey said of his mindset going into the key match. “I was kind of looking for the chances, and looking for the quick balls in behind to get me close to the goal.”

Garrett Harp gave Stadium a 3-0 lead in the 34th minute, sending a follow-up shot into an empty net after Jacob Beardemphl’s shot was deflected out. But Gig Harbor started quickly in the second half, as McCall drove a header into the right netting off a corner in the 46th minute.

The Tides brought most of the pressure in the second period, leaving the Tigers scrambling to thwart off offensive attacks. Gig Harbor cut it to 3-2 in the 62nd minute when Jon Brown sent a low pass in the box to Tanner Stepp, who finished it in front of goal. That seemed to be enough to wake up the Tigers a bit, as they escaped any more serious threats and were able to retain possession to run out the final minutes.

Bellarmine Prep falls to Central Kitsap

Facing a chance to gain more ground in the Narrows 4A soccer standings, Bellarmine Prep couldn't keep up with Central Kitsap tonight, falling 4-1 to the Cougars at home.

“We made way too many defensive errors that ended up in goals,” said Bellarmine head coach Joe Waters. “We’ve got to get better at that.”

The Lions held the Cougars scoreless through 20 minutes, but Central Kitsap’s Kurt Koemmpel got his squad on the board on a low shot past Bellarmine keeper Jacob Hillyer in the 21st minute. But junior Drew Barker answered two minutes later for the Lions, driving a shot into the right side from 20 yards out to tie it up. Eric Musica nearly gave the Lions the lead in the 27th minute with a nice header off Barker’s cross, but Cougars keeper Lorenzo Alvarenga leaped in the air to save it.

Koemmpel then regained the lead for the Cougars in the 30th minute by driving a ball into the right netting off a tough angle from the left side. The Cougars’ Alex Moon made it 3-1 six minutes later by tapping in a cross that bounced around in the box, and the Lions were unable to clear. Koemmpel then collected the hat trick by finishing a nice pass from Cameron Watson 10 minutes into the second half, putting the game out of reach.

Striking for five runs in the second inning, Life Christian took command early and cruised to a 12-2 nonleague win over Tacoma Baptist at Cirque Park on Tuesday afternoon.

Tacoma Baptist struck first in the top of the first inning when Tommie Brazile scored on a wild pitch after an earlier single, but Life Christian tied it in the bottom half on Sam Absten’s groundout to score Drex Davis. Matt Hallstrom gave the Crusaders a momentary 2-1 lead in the second with a double to score Isaiah Kazarovich, but the flood gates then opened for the Eagles. Hunter Haley led off with a walk and tied it by scoring on a wild pitch, and Davis gave the Crusaders the lead for good with a run-scoring double to plate Connor Kuykendall. Davis and Absten later scored on throwing errors, while Taylor Roeloffs scored on a wild pitch as the Eagles quickly held a 6-2 lead.

Sam Veliz took the mound for Life Christian in the third and pitched three scoreless innings to pick up the win, including striking out the side in the fourth and tallying five total strikeouts. The Eagles’ offense then added two runs in the third, fourth and fifth innings, as Kevin Breen forced the mercy rule in the fifth with a single to score Davis. Haley and Gage Roth had run-scoring singles in the third, and Jeremy Pallwitz added a booming run-scoring double in the fourth. The Eagles used just eight hits to tally their 12 runs, but drew five walks, were hit by a pitch three times and tallied 13 stolen bases.

Tigers get big win over Central Kitsap

Stadium completed a busy week with a huge 3-1 win over Central Kitsap at home tonight, catapulting the Tigers into a first-place tie with Gig Harbor.

After early threats from both sides, the Tigers got on the board in the 18th minute off a corner kick. Garrett Harp sent a low pass to Jacob Beardemphl off a corner kick, and the senior captain chipped a cross into the box where sophomore forward Gabriel Castillo headed it over Cougars keeper Lorenzo Alvarenga and in. Harp made it 2-0 six minutes later, as he dribbled down the right side and sent a high arcing shot over Alvarenga, off the far post and in.

The Cougars threatened to halve the lead several times early in the second half, hitting the post on several occasions, but were unable to break through. The Tigers then caught Central Kitsap in transition in the 63rd minute, as forward Andrew Foreman got the ball on a breakaway, dribbled around Alvarenga and sent the ball into an empty net to make it 3-0.

Central Kitsap avoided the shutout when Alvarenga’s long drive forward bounced over Tigers’ keeper Adam Aguilar and into the net, but it was too late to make much significance. Stadium picked up its fourth win in league play, along with one draw and one loss, to sit atop the standings with the Tides with 13 points. They will have some time off for Spring Break, and will host Wilson in a Narrows League crossover match on April 9 at 7:15 p.m.

Middle school football officially made its return to Tacoma on Thursday afternoon, as four local contests kicked off the new season. Jason Lee got a big win to start off their campaign, travelling to First Creek and pulling off a 15-12 win over the Eagles.

The game started quickly, as Jason Lee’s L.J. Lovelace broke free for a 30-yard touchdown on the Bobcats’ fourth play from scrimmage for a 7-0 lead. But First Creek’s Londrell Hamilton took the resulting kickoff back 72 yards for a score, and the Eagles trailed 7-6 after missing the extra point.

But both teams then hunkered down defensively. After fumbling a punt early in the second quarter in their territory, Jason Lee forced three straight negative plays, including snuffing out a fake punt to get the ball back. But after driving into Eagles territory, they turned the ball over on downs as well as the score held at 7-6 at halftime.

First Creek stormed out of the gate in the second half, launching a five-play, 64-yard drive capped by Maleke Pate’s four-yard touchdown to go up 12-7. They looked to go up even more after getting the ball back on the Bobcats’ 40-yard line after a turnover on downs, but Patrick Rogers came up with a big interception for Jason Lee on fourth down to get the ball back. Rogers then scampered 22 yards on the first offensive play of the next series, and Jackson Potts connected with Elijah Jones for a 46-yard strike to the Eagles’ one-yard line. Potts then snuck into the end zone for the go-ahead touchdown, and Lovelace added the two-point conversion to go up 15-12.

The Eagles made a valiant effort to come back with two minutes left, starting at their own nine-yard line and driving to the Bobcats’ 33-yard line before turning the ball over on downs. Jason Lee was then able to run out the clock.

Full story with quotes in next week’s issue of Tacoma Weekly.

Tacoma Arts Month University Dental