The Sideline

Monday, August 31, 2015 This Week's Paper

Seniors Logan Rysemus and Drew Lackman helped lead the way for another outstanding state swim meet for Stadium, as the Tigers backed up a state championship last year with a second-place finish tonight at the Weyerhaeuser King County Aquatic Center in Federal Way.

Rysemus and Lackman teamed with Nick Riggio and Josh Maclurg to open the meet with a win in the 200-yard medley relay. The Tigers won in one minute and 36.71 seconds, the fourth fastest time in 4A state history and just 0.15 seconds from All-American Consideration.

Rysemus topped that with an Automatic All-American time of one minute and 50.51 seconds during his win in the 200-yard individual medley, helping jolt Stadium to an early team lead. Lackman followed by placing second in the 50-yard freestyle in 21.20 seconds, just three hundredths of a second short of All-American Consideration. Eastlake’s Edward Kim won the race in 20.11 seconds, the second fastest time in state history.

Rysemus and Lackman went on to put up All-American Automatic times in placing second in the 100-yard butterfly and 100-yard freestyle, respectively. The Tigers fittingly finished the meet by tying with state champ Kamiak in the 400-yard freestyle relay, as both squads swam in three minutes and 13.03 seconds for the win. Kamiak finished with 207 points to take the title, while Stadium put up 170 points.

Full story with quotes in next week's issue of Tacoma Weekly.

After a competitive start, Tacoma Baptist held Seattle Lutheran scoreless for over seven minutes in the second quarter and never looked back, cruising to a 50-29 win over the Saints to earn a trip to the state regionals. Dayton Pascua led the way for the Crusaders, hitting three three-pointers and finishing with a game-high 23 points – including 16 in the first half.

“It felt good,” said Pascua of his shot. “It’s just good to stay in rhythm with the offense and let it come to you.”

Pascua hit three early baskets to put the Crusaders up 8-2, but Seattle Lutheran came back to cut it to 10-9 at the end of the first. Pascua then hit back-to-back three-pointers early in the second quarter to kick-start a 14-0 run, as the Saints didn’t score their first basket of the period until Grant Doerr’s layup with 57 seconds left.

“We switched to a triangle-and-two (defense) in the second quarter, and it really seemed to discombobulate them for a few minutes and gave us the push we needed to get out ahead,” said Tacoma Baptist head coach Eric Sivertson.

The lead kept growing in the third quarter, as Pascua made it 35-15 with another three midway through the period and added a couple more inside jumpers later. The Crusaders’ defense, meanwhile, was dominant on the glass, as they consistently limited the Saints to one-shot possessions and finished with 35 rebounds as a team.

“We have some really good motors on our team,” said Pascua, who added seven rebounds and three steals to his point total. “Coach did a really good job of ingraining in our heads to play good, solid defense. Give them one shot, box out and rebound. That’s what we did, we stuck to our game plan and did a great job.”

Brandon Stoehr finished with 10 points, six rebounds and three steals for the Crusaders, while Dalton Wintersole had seven points and seven rebounds and Drew Jordan had four points and a team-high eight rebounds. Doerr led Seattle Lutheran with eight points, while Saints leading scorer Abijah Smith – who averages 15 points per game – was limited to just three points, including none in the second half.

The win sets the Crusaders up with a regional matchup at Mark Morris High School on Feb. 23 at 4 p.m., with the opponent still to be decided.

Sivertson noted the regional berth shows how far the program has come in a short time. “We were 1-18 two years ago,” he said. “To be in the final 16 teams playing, with a chance to go to state, is a big deal for us. We’ve worked really hard to earn it.”

Lucas Meikle led Bellarmine Prep with 13 points and Sefo Liufau chipped in with 10 as the Lions held on for a hard fought 48-46 win over Federal Way tonight in the quarterfinal round of the 2013 West Central District playoffs at the Mount Tahama Gym. With the win the Lions clinched a berth in the state regional playoffs next weekend with seeding to be determined in the next two district games.

The game was nip and tuck throughout, with Federal Way’s biggest lead being five points and Bellarmine’s being seven points. The Lions won the game by controlling the tempo, keeping the game in a half-court mode and keeping the Eagles from getting up and down the court in transition.

Another key factor in the game for the Lions was guard Carson Hollyoak, who drilled three consecutive three-pointers in the second half to help erase a five-point deficit and gave the Lions a lead that they would not relinquish. Todd Beamer – who the Lions will face in the semifinals on Saturday at 6:15 p.m. at Auburn High School – is a long and athletic team that will present more problems for Bellarmine’s veteran squad. But this team has had their backs against the wall before and after starting this season at 2-7 in December, they’ve rebounded quite nicely.

As coach Bernie Salazar said in his postgame remarks, “it was just another night in the West Central District III.”

With their star duo sharp in their opening contest, the Lincoln Abes look locked and loaded for a solid postseason run. Ahmaad Rorie scored a game-high 21 points, and Tre’Shaun Fletcher had 18 points and 11 rebounds as Lincoln coasted to a 68-49 win over Enumclaw tonight at Franklin Pierce High School.

“We’re just taking it one game at a time,” Rorie said. “Trying to think about state championships right now is not any good for us. We’ve got seven steps. We got one out of the way, and we’ve got six more to go.”

The Abes shot out to a 20-12 lead at the end of the first quarter, as Rorie hit three three-pointers, Ar’mond Davis added two others and Lincoln was a red-hot 6-for-9 from beyond the arc in the period. Fletcher took over in the second quarter, scoring nine points – including a three that put the Abes up 30-19 with 2:48 left. Latravion Satterwhite added back-to-back layups to make it 34-19, and Rorie capped the first half with an alley-oop to Fletcher in the final minute to make it 38-21 at the break.

“I was really happy with the effort,” said Lincoln head coach Aubrey Shelton. “Tre and Ahmaad were intensely focused today…they came ready.”

The Abes kept pouring it on in the third as Satterwhite – who finished with 10 points – converted a nice crossover layup to make it 42-21 a minute into the period, and he gave Lincoln its greatest lead at 52-25 with a layup with 2:43 left. They coasted from there, as they finished 10-for-20 from three-point range while also causing havoc on the defensive end – finishing with 11 steals.

“Our previous performance was not good on defense,” said Rorie, who had five steals. “It’s a new season, so we thought we could start it over.”

The win sets the Abes up with a semifinal matchup against Kennedy on Saturday at 6:15 p.m. at Franklin Pierce, where they will look to continue the solid defensive effort.

“Our goal is to win state, and it’s only going to happen if we play defense,” Shelton said. “Tonight was a big first step. That was one of our best defensive efforts.”

Despite a furious late rally to close the big gap, Lakes fell 56-52 to Timberline tonight in the district quarterfinals at Franklin Pierce High School, sending the Lancers to a decisive loser-out matchup against Columbia River on Saturday at 6:15 p.m. at Clover Park High School.

The Lancers trailed 50-35 with just under six minutes left after the Blazers’ Brandon Brown nailed a three-pointer, but they slowly crept their way back in it. Jordan Johnson ¬– who led Lakes with 21 points on the night – slammed an emphatic dunk and later nailed a three-pointer in the midst of a 13-2 run, capped by Diondre Worthy’s trey with two seconds left to cut it to 55-52. But Donaven Dorsey – who led Timberline with 16 points – hit one of two free throws at the other end to seal it, nullifying the Lancers’ comeback efforts.

“It’s what we preach all the time, it’s never over,” said Lakes head coach Nick Jensen. “I have to give credit to our guys, they had heart. We just couldn’t seem to get any bounces to go our way.”

Despite getting off to a 6-5 early lead behind three-pointers from Worthy and Taron Rogers, Lakes struggled from the field in the first half, going just 5-for-19. Johnson had seven of the Lancers’ 10 points in the second quarter – including a nice alley-oop dunk from Terrell Toney – and Lakes trailed 29-18 at the break.

“You always have to be ready to play,” Jensen said. “At first, we weren’t quite ready to play and they were. And then you play from behind, and play from a hole. That’s the way it goes.”

The Blazers’ lead expanded to as much as 36-21 midway through the third quarter on Tyler Gartner’s three-pointer, but Toney and Tim Boulding hit a couple shots apiece to help keep Lakes within striking distance at 45-32.

Despite going 13-for-23 from the field in the second half, the Lancers were just 11-for-21 from the free-throw line in the contest. Toney finished with nine points while Worthy added eight points for the Lancers. Brandell Evans finished with 15 points for the Blazers.

Timberline faces off against Foss – who came back for a 58-52 win at Columbia River tonight – in the district quarterfinals on Saturday at 8 p.m. at Franklin Pierce High School.

Tacoma Arts Month University Dental