At 3:55 p.m. yesterday Tacoma firefighters from stations 2,7,8,9,12,16,17 and CP 6-3 responded to a reported commercial structure fire at 6234 South Tacoma Way.
The first arriving engine company found heavy flames and smoke showing from the roof of the one-story tavern business. Initially crews mounted an interior attack, but moved to a defensive strategy as the well-entrenched fire compromised the structural stability of the building. A single employee was in the business at the time of the fire, and was able to escape without harm
The cause of the fire was determined to be embers from a weed burning propane torch operation ignited a fire that was trapped inside the exterior wall of the building, eventually burning its way to the roof of the structure. The fire resulted in estimated $130,000 damage to the building and its contents, and is considered a total loss.