March 01, 2013 @ 9:40 am
At 6:21 p.m. on Feb. 28, Tacoma firefighters responded to a reported fire in a commercial occupancy. First arriving companies found heavy smoke showing from inside the PetSmart business at 3326 S. 23rd St. and located a fire that had started in some pet supplies stored in the retail area of the store.
The buildings fire sprinkler system activated and knocked the fire down, and firefighters extinguished the remaining hot spots.
In a well-coordinated effort, evacuation of the staff, patrons and various four-legged, reptile and avian occupants took center stage. Crews worked quickly to move as many animals as possible to a clean air environment and used high powered fans to ventilate the smoke from the building.
None of the animals appeared to have sustained injuries in the incident, although the fish were water damaged. Ok, maybe not.
The cause of the fire was determined to be suspicious and the case was referred to the Tacoma Police Department for follow-up.
The fire caused an estimated $35,000 damage to the building and its contents.
In partnership with local businesses, Tacoma City Ballet is sponsoring a scavenger hunt through… Read More >>