The Daily Mash-Up

Wednesday, July 26, 2017 This Week's Paper
Sprinkler saves restaurant from fire

At 12:28 a.m. on Monday, firefighters from station 1,4,7,14,16, and 17 responded to a reported commercial structure fire at the Boathouse 19 restaurant at 9001 S. 19th St. The first arriving company found a smoke charged building, but no visible flames. After making entry, they found that two sprinkler heads had activated and suppressed a fire that ignited on a counter top in the kitchen area. Crews shut down the sprinkler system, confirmed the fire was out, and cleaned up the water.

A fire investigator determined that the spontaneous combustion of oily terry cloth towels that were stored in a plastic tub started the fire. Damage estimates were $4,500 to the building and its contents and there were no injuries to report.

In other fire news: Crews extinguished a industrial dryer fire at a paper manufacturing facility at 801 E. Portland Ave on April 5. Damages were estimated at $15,000.

Firefighters responded to a small trash can fire at a gas station at 2637 N. Pearl St on April 5. The fire was extinguished by an employee prior to arrival and crews were unable to locate an ignition source.

Firefighters responded to a reported garage fire at 4504 N. 9th St on April 6. The first arriving engine company found heavy flames and smoke showing from a large attached garage. Crews worked quickly to knock down the flames that were being fueled by solvents stored in the garage and the fire was extinguished before it could spread to the house. A fire investigator determined that the failure of an electrical power strip was the likely cause of the blaze. There were no injuries to report, but damages were estimated at $33,000.