The Daily Mash-Up

Friday, September 04, 2015 This Week's Paper
Cigarette ignites apartment fire in North End Retirement Community

At 10:34 a.m. today Tacoma Firefighters from station 1,2,4,9,13,14 and 16 responded to a reported apartment fire in an independent living retirement community at 6414 N. Park Way.

The first arriving company found fire and smoke showing from the balcony area of a second floor apartment in a large multi-family dwelling unit. Operationally, crews attacked the fire with handlines, while other firefighters organized search and rescue efforts to check multiple apartments on multiple floors to assure that no one was trapped in the fire or in harms way.

The buildings fire protection system assisted with the positive life safety outcome in this incident; the fire alarms provided early notification to the tenets of the danger, and the sprinkler system activated helping contain the fire to the apartment of origin.

Three people were evaluated by paramedics for injuries and released at the scene.

The cause of the fire was an improperly discarded cigarette igniting combustibles material resulting in an estimated $30,000 damage to the building and its contents.

Tacoma Arts Month University Dental Clear Choice Cannabis
ADVERTISEMENT